Shawe Memorial Jr./Sr. High School Links
Faculty & Staff
Pope John Elementary XXIII
Shawe Jr./Sr. High School
Shawe Senior Guidance
Guidance Department Staff
Senior Calendar for College
& Career Planning
Tips for Letters of Recommendation
College Application Process
The Common Application
Transcript Request Form
Spiritual Life Links
Theology Program of Studies
Toppers for Life
Make a Gift
Shawe Memorial Jr./Sr.
High School Dress Code
The Standard Dress Code of SMHS is based on our belief that students should present an image that reflects a sense of pride in themselves, their families and their school. In a society which places much emphasis on fashion, where consumerism attempts to define social position and where self-worth is established by price, label or the logo which appears on clothing. Our Standard Dress Code stands as a reminder that the real worth of the individual is in what he or she accomplishes with the gifts that God has given to them.
• SMHS Polo Shirts with the embroidered school logo. These may be short sleeved or long sleeved or sweatshirts
in green, gold, maize (soft yellow) and white. Seniors have the privilege of wearing a black polo with
embroidered school logo.
• Plain slacks (no patterns, stripes, etc.) Must be khaki or navy blue. Khakis should be in the “tan” family, and
can range from light cream/tan to a darker tan. Skorts, skirts, or shorts may be worn in knee-length. All must be
hemmed (i.e. no frayed hems)
• Only sweatshirts, fleeces and cardigan sweaters in green, white, or gray with the Prince of Peace Catholic
Schools logo may be worn overtop the uniform shirt during the school day.
• Shoes or sandals must be worn at all times.
• Students may wear tee shirts or turtlenecks under the uniform in a green, white, tan, yellow, black, and gray.
• All clothing must be clean, properly fitted, neat and not tattered, as well as worn with appropriate
undergarments. The school logo must be in good condition.
• Clothing must be worn as it is intended to be worn. Shirt-tails must be tucked in. Slacks and shorts must be the
proper waist size and worn at the waist. No undergarments should be visible.
• Jewelry should be modest and conservative. No other visible body parts such as a (nose, eyebrow) should be
pierced with jewelry. No type of gauge earring may be worn. Tattoos should not be visible while at any time,
including while participating in co-curricular or extra‐curricular activities.
• All students should be neat and well groomed. Hair: Dying, bleaching, or tinting hair to an unnatural color or
having severely contrasting colors is not permitted. Extreme hairstyles are not permitted (this includes
partially/fully shaved heads, or razor cut styles). Boys’ hair may not be longer than the bottom of the collar,
hang in the eyes, be uncombed or unmanageable.
• Mustaches, beards, goatees or long sideburns are not allowed.
• The administration reserves the right to define the meaning of inappropriate attire and/or extreme appearance.
Dress Down Days
The student body will have the opportunity to earn dress down days. Dress down days should be viewed as a privilege,
not a right. Selection of clothing worn on “dress down days” should not contradict Catholic values, specifically clothing
with references to drugs, alcohol, violence, or sex are not permitted. Clothing should be limited to blue jeans or capris and
an appropriate t-shirt, polo shirt, sweatshirt, hooded sweatshirt, dress shirt or blouse. Jeans cannot be faded and must be a solid color. Shirts must have sleeves and long enough to cover the midriff. Spandex material is not permitted at any time. Undergarments should not be visible.
On special days during the year, SMHS will have Spirit Days to celebrate events. Students are permitted and
encouraged to wear any Shawe Memorial Spirit Wear in support of these events. Students may also choose to wear
clothing that is green and/or gold. All clothing must be clean, properly fitted, neat and not tattered. Shorts must be
knee length. Tights, yoga pants, leggings, and tank tops are not allowed. Students always have the option to wear
Dress Up Days
To celebrate special occasions, SMHS may have dress up days. On these days, gentleman must wear a shirt, tie and
dress pants. Shorts are not allowed. Females must wear a knee length skirt or dress, and an appropriate top. All
parts of the body should be appropriately covered. Students always have the option to wear their uniform.
Prince of Peace Catholic Schools prepare students to lead meaningful lives by combining rigorous academics with opportunities for exploration and reflection.
LEARN MORE ABOUT OUR SCHOOLS >
Prince of Peace Catholic Schools are one of the area's leading Catholic Schools.
Pope John XXIII Elementary
221 West State Street
Madison, Indiana 47250
Shawe Memorial Jr./Sr. High School
201 West State Street
Madison, Indiana 47250
Administration and Parish Office
305 West State Street
Madison, Indiana 47250